An Icon: Martin Luther King Jr.
It’s Martin Luther King Jr’s Day today!
On every 20th Day of January, Martin Luther King Jr’s day is celebrated in the United States.A biography of Martin Luther King Jr. can be found using this link:
Here is a collection of my 20 powerful quotes that I love from MLK.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
- Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.
- He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.
- We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
- Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.
- If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.
- Everybody can be great … because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.
- A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.
- Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.
- Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.
- Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
- Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.
- He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
- The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.
- Seeing is not always believing.
I hope you enjoy reading.